Friday, February 27, 2009

Interview with Olivia Myers Miss Iowa 2008, 2nd RU to Miss America 2009



Olivia Myers is a client of Mental Management and was recommended to Mental Management by her pageant coach Cathy Herd. Cathy posted the following interview in her recent newsletter. Some questions were additionally asked to Olivia for this post. Please Enjoy!

Congratulations on finishing 2nd runner up to Miss America! Did you anticipate such a good outcome?

Thank you. Actually, I believe that my success was partly a result of anticipating such an outcome. I learned to approach the competition with both humility and expectation, which enabled me to remain true to myself without mentally limiting my performance. When the pageant was over, on the other hand, I felt more disbelief that I had done so well! Being selected from among so many incredible women was an honor.

How long has it been since Miss Iowa placed 2nd RU or higher?
In 1992 Catherine Lemkau-Herd was 1st RU to Miss America. Iowa’s last 2nd RU was Susan Thompson in 1968.

What type of preparation do you think most contributed to your success at nationals?

I couldn't have succeeded without addressing each area of competition individually, but I believe the most important type of preparation was that all-encompassing development of the inner self. At Miss America, the judges told us they weren't looking for the best swimsuit or the best talent. They were looking for the girl who just had to win because of this indefinable quality that simply radiated from within her. Most contestants looked pretty awesome in their swimsuits-I really don't think it was the hours at the gym, as important as they were, that set me apart. In addition to running, I spent a lot of time discovering my true essence-the spirit, values, and passions that define me-as well as how I could let that essence speak for me in interview and onstage. That, I think, was key to my success.

How was your frame of mind during competition?

I kept my mind focused on my goal and what I needed to do to accomplish it. It was easy to start comparing myself to other contestants, but I kept reminding myself that the objective was not to outshine anyone else, but to allow the best of Olivia to shine through. In order for me to do that, it was important for me to focus on my strengths and to simply "live in the moment." That is what I told myself every time I walked onto stage-you've spent enough time thinking about this moment; now is the time to stop thinking and just perform.

What surprised you most about competing at nationals?

Honestly, I was surprised that I felt so at ease. I expected to feel more nervous for my Miss America interview than for any previous one, but I actually felt more relaxed and in control than ever before. The same was true onstage. The competition at nationals was far more intense than at the state level, but by trusting my preparation and deciding to savor every moment, I was able to thrive in the competition rather than fret and fear it.

What advice would you give to those contestants striving to get to nationals and placing as well as you did?

Find what motivates your desire to compete, and let that drive your preparation. View your pageant experience as a journey, the ultimate goal not only being to do well, but also to leave you a more well-rounded, self-aware, and confident young woman. Take time to consistently reflect upon who you are and how you have arrived at this moment in your life. This will not only make the journey worthwhile, but it will also help set you apart in competition since the judges are looking for someone who is well-rounded, self-aware, and confident and who conveys a sincere desire to be Miss America.

How was competing at state different from competing at nationals?

Many contestants, me included, were much more invested in the competition at nationals-physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially. The fact that we had whole-heartedly dedicated the previous months of our lives to those few nights in Las Vegas, along with the knowledge that we could only compete at Miss America once, created an entirely different atmosphere than at state. The stakes were higher as well: either I was flying back to Iowa on Sunday or my entire life was about to turn upside-down. So for me, the biggest difference had less to do with the competition itself than with what the competition represented on a personal level.

What was the interview like?


I had so much fun in my interview! It came and went so quickly, and I left the room wishing I could have more time to chat with the judges. My interview was much more conversational at Miss America than at state. I'd say they were looking for someone who makes an interesting conversation partner. The judges threw me questions quickly and oftentimes followed up, depending on my response. They challenged me in such a way that I could clarify my views rather than become defensive, and their questions called for a good balance of introspection, humor, and intellect. I was surprised that the new presidency never came up and impressed by the quality of questions (although they were few) regarding my platform.

I imagine your schedule was hectic while you prepared for Miss America. Can you walk us through what that was like during the last few weeks before competition?

There were exactly three weeks between Christmas and my arrival in Las Vegas, and as much as I wanted to be with friends and family, I had to really focus during that time. Much of my wardrobe was custom made in Sioux Falls, SD, and during my last two weeks of preparation, I made two trips to Sioux Falls, where I ended up spending several nights. Online shopping became a godsend, as I could find the perfect shoes and pieces of jewelry (I'm a new fan of HSN!) right from my hotel room. Due to copyright issues, I didn't have the final version of my talent accompaniment until Christmastime, so my dance routine gained a sense of urgency in those finals days as well. While attending to last minute details and alterations, I was also, of course, continuing my workout routine, studying the news, and discussing potential interview topics with anyone who would lend an ear. To be perfectly honest, I will miss the crazy excitement of those days!

How did you feel best supported during your competition?


Sometimes the best kind of support came when I found an empty corner in the rehearsal hall, turned on my iPod, and read the cards and messages from those who love and believe in me the most. That said, I cannot tell you how much the support of Cathy Herd meant to me during competition. The best thing about having Cathy's support was that I could trust her. I could trust her with any question or concern, because she really got to know me when I became Miss Iowa and helped me become a better version of Olivia, never asking me to become someone else. It was as if she gave me the counsel I would give myself, could I actually put my finger on the right words to say, and I attribute much of the ease I felt during competition to her consistent support. I guess she was like HSN-a godsend in every way!

Your talent was one of the best I have seen in the top ten in years. Tell us about preparing for talent.

Thank you! Preparing for talent was a wonderfully fun and challenging experience. I knew I only had 90 seconds to leave my mark on the Miss America stage, so I was picky about everything that went into my routine. The first challenge was coming up with an original version of "Fever" that would be fun yet simple so as to not overshadow my taps. Then, it was all about stepping a little outside the box, getting into character, and filling up the stage. I had a lot of fun deciding what attitudes I wanted to convey at different points in the routine-cool and confident here, sexy there, now just fun and fabulous. I literally got out a thesaurus one day and made a word map for my wall! I learned that talent is about more than honing a single skill-it's about creating an experience for both the audience and yourself.

How important do you think it is to have coaching before Miss America?

Let's just say that I don't think I would have finished second runner-up without coaching. My only word of caution is to find the right coach—someone you can trust and enjoy working with.

Tell us about mental management and how did it help you during competition?

Mental Management is a system for controlling the mind under pressure. It helped keep my mind clear and focused during competition, but I would say that it helped me even more prior to the pageant. Mental Management changed my self image in such a way that I could visualize myself as Miss America, and success became a mental reality before it actually happened. I was surprised how much this mental shift altered the way that I prepared and competed. When I walked into my interview, for example, I walked in "as Miss America" in my mind, which I think helped the judges see me in that role, too.

What was the most important thing you learned through training with Mental Management?

That I could want to win the Miss America Pageant, and believe in my heart that it was truly possible, without compromising my priorities in life or my sense of humility. This may seem like an unlikely lesson, but for me, it was critical. Mental Management changed the way that I think about competition, and then helped me discover practical strategies for approaching it most effectively.

Do you feel Mental Management is important for pageant preparation and why?


Preparing for a pageant is really a hefty undertaking. With multiple areas of competition that each requires unique skill sets and types of preparation, it can sometimes seem overwhelming. I feel that Mental Management is important, because it helps the contestant overcome that feeling of being overwhelmed and to focus her thoughts and energy on one task, one goal at a time.

How did changing your Self-Image make an impact on your competition experience?

The way we view ourselves impacts how we think, feel, and act. So by changing my self-image, I could change the way that I prepared for Miss America and, ultimately, how I performed in competition. For example, by viewing myself as an insightful, relatable, and witty speaker, I was more likely to take the steps that would actually make me more insightful, relatable, and witty. Then, by imagining my interview going really well-and continually playing that image in my mind-I could walk into my interview with the expectation of success. This kind of mindset produces a confidence and charisma that is invaluable in competition.

Would you recommend Mental Management training or products to other contestants and why?

I would. Being mentally prepared for a pageant doesn’t mean that a contestant can work less hard, but it does mean that all of her hard work is less likely to be compromised when the pressures of competition set in. It also empowers her to more freely enjoy the journey that is her pageant experience.


How have you changed since winning Miss Iowa?

I could write a book in response to this one, but in short, I have become a better person. I not only feel more confident in who I am, but I am also more aware of who that person is. When I look back on my year as Miss Iowa, I imagine that I'll view this sense of personal growth and discovery as the biggest and most discernible gift. I have also learned how to more effectively communicate and to advocate for a cause. On another note, my year as Miss Iowa has uncovered a hidden fondness for fashion, and now that Miss America is over, I'll have to develop some thrift to go along with it!

Olivia's platform is Teaching Tolerance: Fostering a Just and Caring Culture from the Classroom Out. She has recently started a new website for her platform called www.speakingoftolerance.com

For more information on Mental Management training for pageant performance please email Heather Sumlin at heather@mentalmanagement.com or call 972-899-9640.

No comments:

Post a Comment